Monday, March 19, 2012

A Lesson In Lasagna

I attempted to make four lasagnas with no idea how to make one. The thought of multiple different layers, intimidating noodles that curiously fits into a pot forever stumped me. 
Spaghetti or macaroni and cheese always won over the pasta war. I have eaten lasagna oodles of times, but never been the chef behind them..until now!


I'm okay using recipes, but I love being free of rules in the kitchen. Since Hannah and I are the only human eaters in the house at the moment, I decided to forgo an over-sized casserole dish and do more conservative portions so we don't have to eat only lasagna until Geoff comes home. These foil tins were perfect and allowed me to make four perfect sized lasagnas to freeze until ready to consume. 

I began thinking about making lasagna awhile ago. I only bought the tins and noodles. I had to start somewhere. They sat in the cabinet for ......... My next step involved shopping for the remaining contents so my lasagnas wouldn't be compiled of just tin and noodles. After a visit to the store and a phone call to my mom in the dairy section, I was ready to attempt the lasagna. 

I researched the basics of how to layer the ingredients from the internet. Everything else was left up to an experiment. Makes cooking fun. I cooked vegetables and added them to tomato sauce for the bottom and top layer of lasagna. I combined ricotta cheese, 2 eggs and included some pesto sauce for the middle layer to put between the successfully cooked noodles. To finalize the four lasagnas, I grated a whole lot of cheese to cover the top. 


I am one happy cook. I have three left in the freezer and had one super easy night where all I had to do was cook an already prepared homemade lasagna. I enjoyed my slices and Hannah caught licking her plate seems like a ditto. 

No comments:

Post a Comment