Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Tomato Sauce Success

Remember these? Our collection of tomatoes from the garden that were multiplying at a high rate of speed..faster than I can eat them?


I was wondering what would happen if I added a dollar a piece vegetable assortment (a massive yellow zucchini, an onion, two bell peppers and an adorable little eggplant) fresh from the farmers market into the equation?


Well lets see! This is a complete new experiment for me!


First I boiled a big pot of water..


Tossed in the yellow tomatoes..


And the red tomatoes in separate batches..


To jump start the skin peeling process.


While all that excitement happening on the stove, I cut up all the lovely market veggies..


Back to the stove, once my eyes stopped stinging from the onion chop and fingers still attached I removed the tomatoes from the boiling water and instantly cooled them in a handy bowl of cold water and started peeling them.


Once the peeling was mastered, I used our food processor to turn our tomatoes into a delicious sauce (yellow tomatoes and red tomatoes in separate trips through the blender.)


After grabbing some fresh basil from the garden and dumping all the farmers market veggies into the wok, I lightly softened the veggies with some heat, oil and veggie broth.


Then, poured the tomato sauces into pots and added the softened veggies with some garlic and let simmer for a few moments..


Made some pasta and dinner served! It was a light, simple and versatile cost effective recipe. My taste buds enjoyed the homemade sauce attempt as opposed to the store bough cans or jars, the fresh flavours and uncomplicated seasoning. 


And because there was so much sauce, I made bags for the freezer with all the leftovers to feed us for a future, easily prepared meal. It was definitely worth the effort in making such a large amount! My first attempt at making tomato sauce (using all fresh ingredients) was a success! I compiled the sauce this morning so all I had to do was make the pasta closer to dinner time, brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment